Saturday, June 5, 2010

A Unexpect Visit to the ER

After 10 weeks of bed rest and an easy, non-medicated delivery, I was feeling great once we got home with baby Isaiah. I was back to cooking and cleaning, but was starting to feel the effects of lack of sleep. Six days after delivery we were having a quiet evening, putting the boys to bed with our usual routine of bath time, reading books, saying prayers... I was talking to David while leaning over to give Andrew a final good night kiss when I noticed my speech started to slur. I instantly knew something was terribly wrong and turned to sit on the ground when my right hand hit the floor. I muttered to David, "call 9-1-1 if I stop talking" as I felt my entire right side go numb and paralyzed. Taking several deep breaths, I wondered how in the World could this be happening to me - how was I going to take care of my precious baby boys if I was paralyzed? Thankfully after a matter of minutes the numbness subsided and I was able to move again. We called the on-call OB who advised me to take an Ibprofen and call on Monday. After contemplating with that advise and calling my mom, I decided it was probably best to play it safe - take an Aspirin and go straight to the ER. Grandma Shaffer came over to stay with Andrew and daddy, Isaiah and I headed to the ER. They worked me up for a TIA (Transient Ischemic Attack), but thankfully all the tests came back normal. We were in and out of the ER in about 3 hours and Isaiah slept the entire time - it was amazing! I was sent home and told to take a 81mg Baby Aspirin daily and follow up with a neurologist.