Thursday, October 23, 2008

Trip to Texas

Andrew and I went on an adventure to Texas to visit Grandma & Grandpa Miller and Aunt Katie this week. The trip was complicated by Andrews first cold... on Friday we noticed some yellow crusties in his left eye (can you tell that I am a doctor or what!), so we called the pediatrician and luckily he scripted some antibiotic ointment without having us come in. We caught the infection right at the beginning, but we had a rough night on Friday. Andrew didn't feel good and was starting to get congested, so we were up late and most of the night tending to him. Our flight left Saturday morning and with Andrew's cold and my anxiety I wasn't sure how we were going to make it! After getting through security (try taking off your shoe with a baby strapped to you and two carry-on bags!) and waiting for the people to check every container in the bag (they had to scan my bottles of pumped milk!), I wondered why I signed up for this on my own! Luckily, David got my seat changed from row 25 right in the middle seat to the isle seat in row 7 on the full flight. When we got on board I was greeted by a giddy grandma, who was thrilled to be sitting next to Andrew! She went on and on about how excited she was that her husband had traded her seats and was beside herself as Andrew giggled and smiled at her. She even offered to hold Andrew while I got situated and during the flight helped me prepare bottles and even change his blow-out diaper! I couldn't have done it without her, what a blessing! Andrew didn't sleep too much, but was thrilled that so many people wanted to smile at him and he did great. Andrew loves to eat, but does not like to be covered while doing so! I tried to feed him during the flight, but he refused and during his protest my nursing pad fell off my lap, rolled across the isle at the foot of another passenger! Luckily it was a nice lady that kindly handed it to me without making a scene - yes, things like this only happen to me! Anyway, we made it to Dallas and were greeted by Grandpa (who was excited about hitting 100 miles per hour to get to the airport on time!). We had a wonderful time in Texas! Grandma was able to take off work the entire time we were there. We did a lot of shopping and some very good eating - Brio (brochette, salad), California Pizza Kitchen (Gorgonzola and caramelized pear pizza, margarita pizza, chop salad), Poppies (BLT with avocado, sweet potato fries), Spoons (chocolate and strawberry pie, tea), Italian (salad, manicottie). The best meals were moms jambalaya and grilled pork chops with twice baked potatos! Mom took me to get a pedicure and I got a haircut too (short bob). Aunt Katie was excited to miss a few hours of school to visit with us. The weather was beautiful and we went for several long walks. We also did some shopping for the baby boy! Grandma got him the cutest little dinosaur outfit from Gymboree and a ridiculously expensive bell-bottom peace outfit at the baby botique. Eliza got a tye-dyed bell-bottom outfit to match as well. We are planning on a 70's photo shoot for them when we get home. I found a Carters pumpkin haloween outfit and a hoodie sweat shirt with some cute pants for him. Drew stuck to his schedule and had to be asleep by 8:00, that's 9:00 Indiana time, so I got a good amount of sleep as well. Wednesday morning Drew was not feeling good, so I was pretty worried about the flight home. We got our seat moved to the front row window seat with an empty seat next to us and a army fellow that was helpful (moving my bags and even carried them off the plane for me). Ben Stein was sitting in the row in front of us and kept looking at us (probably because I was wearing a Purdue shirt and he was going to be speaking there the next day), so that was interesting. Andrew fell asleep on the runway in Dallas and didn't wake up until we pulled into our driveway at home! God is soooo good! We had a fantastic visit, but unfortunately took very few pictures!