The first stop was from the scene in the movie where the children and Maria fall out of the boats in their play clothes made from curtains. We learned that they had to take two shoots of the scene because Grettle, the youngest child, really almost drowned. Also an interesting fact is that the building you see in the picture is not the one in the movie, just the water - they shot each direction at a different location! Andrew missed this exciting destination, but had a good nap!
Next we drove to Hellbrunn Castle, where the pavilion Lesile sings "I am 16 going on 17" with the mail carrier. We posed for a shot, but I couldn't talk David into a duet in front of the glass gazebo which was much smaller than I expected.
Next we drove for a half hour up into the mountains, listening to the familiar tunes and singing the whole way - "the hills are alive with the sound of music..aaaa aahhhhhh", I may have been the only one singing, but was pretty sure I would never see any of those people again! We made a few stops for an amazing view of the mountains, the pictures can't compare to the real thing...
We traveled back down the mountain to Salzburg where our tour came to an end. We got a brochure showing us more sites to visit while exploring the city. We visited Mirabell Gardens and saw most of the scenes from the Do-Re-Mi song. We took lots of pictures and I did a bit of singing on video too! Above you can see the fountain the children danced around, the tunnel they sang through, the really ugly statue they patted on the head and finally the steps they walked up to end the song.