Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Howdy Partner

Being sick is no fun, but Andrew still gives us some big smiles every day (no matter how crummy he feels!). We started antibiotics on Monday and by Wednesday he was feeling better... I took him to an office meeting, he didn't make a peep from 11AM - 3PM. He just enjoyed looking around, taking a short nap and interacting with people. We had a wonderful time dressing up in his new Gymboree clothes (Happy Early Christmas!) and posing with his pony. It was bath night and Drew laughed and giggled more than ever before, it was adorable!
Thursday, Aunt Holly, Uncle Nate and Cousin Eliza came to our house to watch Andrew while I worked from 9 - 1. He did great for Aunt Holly and we had a good day together, but by Thursday evening the GI side effects of Amoxicillin kicked in giving him gas, diarrhea and a tummy ache, and oh yes, despite tubes of aquaphor and desitin another diaper rash! So we are looking forward to the end of the medication, mommy might make it a shorter course than prescribed!
We woke up at 5:30AM on Friday to make it to the Doctor's meeting at 7:00AM at the clinic. We made it only 5 minutes late and despite his typical schedule Andrew would not go back to sleep. We bounced through the hour meeting, then went to Aunt Holly's. Friday morning was also the start to drainage! I sucked more snot than I have every seen out of his nostrils which made him pretty upset, but more comfortable when it was over. We have been taking lots of naps (I am draining too) and trying to get better!
After a week of slowing down on the nursing and two half-days of work (without pumping), I got my first mastitis experience! So, Thursday through Saturday we nursed every 2 hours (day and night), used warm compresses and started antibiotics to be sure it didn't get any worse. I was feeling much better by Saturday morning, but won't make the same mistake again...